Dr. ADEGOKE Isiaka Adetunji
Acting Coordinator, Department of Chemical Sciencess
Welcome Remarks from the Coordinator of the Department
The Department of Chemical Sciences commenced academic activities in 2016/2017 academic session with four students and two permanent staff. The number of students and staff have increased over the years with significant outcomes. The Department is equipped with well-furnished lecture rooms and laboratories. Activities in the Department include lectures, research, training and workshop sessions, seminars, mentoring among others.
Philosophy of the Department
The Philosophy of the Department
- To provide students with a broad and balanced foundation of knowledge and practical skills in Biochemistry
- To equip students with the ability to apply knowledge and skills to solving theoretical and practical problems in Biochemistry.
- To develop in students, a range of transferable skills that are of value in biochemical and non-biochemical employment opportunities.
- To provide students with effective knowledge and skills that can serve as pre-requisite for further studies in specialized areas of biochemistry or other multi-disciplinary fields.
- To provide, through training and orientation, an appreciation of the rewards of inter-and multi-disciplinary approach to the solution of complex life problems.
The vision of the Department is to provide world class teaching and research outputs, skills and morals.
The mission of the Department is to produce graduates with personal, national and international standard and values.
Available options at bachelor’s degree level
- Nutritional Biochemistry
- Medical Biochemistry
- Industrial Biochemistry
- Pharmaceutical Biochemistry
- Environmental Biochemistry
- Phytomedicine and Drug Discovery
Research Activities at the Department of Chemical Sciences
The Departmental Laboratory is well equipped for research activities for both student and staff for in vitro, in vivo and in silico researches.
Current research activities include toxicological, antimalarial, hepatoprotective and Antidiabetic studies and analysis of newly discovered oil from a plant seed.
Our achievement so far
- The Department obtained full accreditation in 2019 and has turned out two sets of graduates (2020 and 2021).
- Workshop and Training sessions: The department has successfully conducted the following sessions:
- Hands on workshop on computer aided drug design for staff and students.
- Training on workshop on the use of Mendeley reference package
- Mentoring of staff on Time management
B. O. Yusuf (Ph.D)
Coordinator of the Department
Phone number: +234 8165061613