Summit University, Offa, the University of Ansar-Ud-Deen Society of Nigeria (ADSN), is a product of many years of painstaking planning and harnessing of human and material resources. Indeed, the Society remains one of the foremost religious organizations with impressive record in the provision of education for Nigerian students at primary, secondary and tertiary levels irrespective of their religious and ethnic, geographical and political affiliations.
The vision to establish a faith-based university with world-class standard of teaching, research and community service began on 27 February, 2002, when the National Education Board of the Ansar-Ud-Deen Society of Nigeria set up the Higher Education Committee with a view to actualizing the dreams and yearnings of members. On 3 April 2004, the National Executive Committee meeting of, Society resolved to locate the University at Offa, Kwara State.
On June 2005, the Society applied formally for operating licence for its private university from the National Universities Commission (NUC) Abuja.
1st and 2nd Verification Visits of the NUC
The first verification visit by the NUC to the site of the University was carried out between 19 and 21 February, 2009. On 2 July 2009, the Society submitted its documents to the NUC. The second verification visit to the campus of the University by the NUC was done between 2 and 4 September, 2010.
In October, 2010, a new National Executive Committee under Alhajj Lateef Olufemi Okunnu SAN, CON as National President was elected. The National President showed an unwavering single-minded commitment to the cause of the Summit University by taking the following steps:
- Alhaji Femi Okunnu approved a workshop on the Proposed University which was held on the campus of the University on 23 May 2011.
- He set up of the Finance Advisory Board for the University. The inaugural meeting of the Board was held on 19 September 2011.
- He ensured that the 200 million naira bond was made available to the NUC in December 2011.
- A new Planning and Implementation Committee under Prof K.O. Alausa was set up in 2012.
Payment of N 200 million Bond to the NUC
Through the exemplary sacrifice of the President and other members who are strongly committed to the cause of the University, the Society paid the required N200 million bond to the National Universities Commission in December 2011. With this payment, the Society renewed its drive towards obtaining operating licence for the University.
A delegation led by the National President, some members the National Executive Council, some members of the Board of Trustees and the Planning and Implementation Committee also met the Executive Secretary of NUC, Prof Julius Okojie on Friday, 23 March 2012 to further pursue the actualization of the University.
ADS National Executive Committee has also presented its evidence of available liquid cash to the NUC on 22 October 2013. This signifies an important stage for the University as it fulfilled the last of the requirements for obtaining operating licence.
Appointment of Education Secretary
The appointment of Prof TGO Gbadamosi as the National Education Secretary of ADS on 12 March 2012 signifies an important step towards obtaining licence for the Summit University. Before his appointment, Prof Gbadamosi served in acting capacity for some months as National Education Secretary and had given a number of lectures at functions organised by different levels of the Society.
New Planning and Implementation Committee (PIC) Since 2012
The members of the new Planning and Implementation Committee include:
1. Prof K.O. Alausa, Professor of Medicine, Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye, (Chairman)
2. Prof TGO Gbadamosi, Professor of History, formerly of University of Lagos, ADS National Education Secretary
3. Prof Saida Mabadeje, Professor of Botany, formerly of University of Lagos
4. Prof S. O. Adeyemi, Professor of Engineering, former Vice- Chancellor, Federal University of Technology, Minna and retired from the University of Ilorin.
5. Prof H.O.B. Oloyede, Professor of Biochemistry, University of Ilorin and Pioneer Vice-Chancellor, Fountain University, Osogbo.
6. Prof M. A. Akanji, Professor of Biochemistry, University of Ilorin, current Vice-Chancellor, Federal University of Technology, Minna.
7. Prof L. Adele Jinadu, Professor of Political Science, former Director General, Administrative Staff College of Nigeria and retired from University of Lagos.
8. Prof (Mrs) Fatima AbdulKareem, Professor of Morbid Anatomy, College of Medicine, University of Lagos.
9. Prof A.W.O. Olatinwo, Professor of Medicine, University of Ilorin, and current Provost, College of Medicine, University of Ilorin.
10. Mr. W. A. Kadiri, Urban, Regional &Transport Planner of Kadiri Associates Ltd., Ota, Ogun State, former Rector, Moshood Abiola Polytechnic. (Planner/Member)
11. Engr Bayo Adeola, Engineering/Project Manager of Comprehensive Project Management Services Ltd., Lagos, (Project Manager/Member)
12. Alhajj L.A.B. Salami, former 1st Asst. National Secretary, ADS
13. Late Prof A.Y. Adeoti, Professor of Plant Pathologist, formerly of Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta.
14. Mr. Mustapha A. Kadiri, (Secretary)
Renovations and Upgrading of Facilities
Between 2012 and 2013, the Society spent millions of money on upgrading of facilities, provision of infrastructures and purchase of furniture and equipment on the campus of the University.
Submission of Documents and Album to the NUC
Following the completion of correction and editing of the documents of the University, the Planning and Implementation Committee submitted a set of four of the following documents to the NUC in April 2013:
i. ACADEMIC BRIEF VOLUME I
ii. ACADEMIC BRIEF VOLUME II
iii. UNIVERSITY MASTER PLAN
iv. UNIVERSITY LAW
v. UNIVERSITY ALBUM
Screening of the Board of Trustees of Summit University
The following members of the Board of Trustees of the University were screened by the State Security Service on 8 May 2013:
i. Alhajj Musiliu Adeola Kunbi Smith (Rtd. IGP) CFR, FNIM Chairman
ii. Prof Jamiu Mosobalaje Olaloye Oyawoye
iii. Prof Suleyman O. Adeyemi
iv. Alhaji Tiamiyu Olatinwo
v. Alhaji (Dr.) Hussein Taiye Aladesawe
vi. Alhajja (Dr.) Risikat Alabi
Final Verification Visit by the NUC 15 July 2013
On 15 July, 2013, six members of Special Committee on Private Universities of the NUC conducted a comprehensive verification of facilities on the campus of the proposed University.
Grant of Provisional Licence
Following the recommendation of the National Universities Commission, the Federal Executive Council of the Federal Republic of Nigeria on 25 February 2015 gave its approval to Ansar-Ud-Deen Society of Nigeria to operate Summit University Offa as a private university.
The formal presentation of the provisional licence to the Society was held at a ceremony presided over by Mallam Ibrahim Shekarau, the Honourable Minister of Education on 5 March 2015 at the National Universities Commission, Abuja.